Auto Painting Cost
How much does auto painting cost?
The cost of having an automobile painted can vary greatly with the quality, size and the complexity of the job involved.
• There are a number of national chains that specialise in the art of auto body painting and they offer prices around the $250 to $500 mark, depending on the job concerned.
• Check out the likes of MAACO, a discount body shop chain that offers a range of options from basic cut price resprays to full body painting of a higher standard.
• Consider the value added to the car with the type of job – you can pay upwards of $1000 at one of the many standard type body shops for what will be an adequate job for a family car.
• If your automobile is a valuable one – a classic or vintage car that you are looking to keep – you will want to consider the top of the range body shop offers, and a full restoration respray job, involving the removal of the chrome and glass and the detailing of the engine bay, can be anywhere between $4000 and $8000, or more if intimate detail is required.
• Even the cheapest budget set ups will offer you choices. You may wish to have extra layers of paint for a deeper finish or a lacquer applied for the best shine, and polishing and detail offers are all part of the deal.
• If you need body repairs to the car these may be carried out in advance; there is little point in painting over rusted areas as the paint will not take.
• Metallic or special choice finishes may also cost extra.
• Use the internet - it is a great source of useful information. Run a search for ‘auto body shops’ or ‘auto painting’ and get a list of local shops in your area, and then get a quote for comparison from each.
• Have a look at the work that each shop carries out – pay a visit to see that their work is of an acceptable standard. Any good body shop will be happy for you to do this.
• If you are a member of a car club ask them for advice – some shops offer discounts for club members, particularly with vintage cars.
• Make sure you are offered a warranty – there is nothing worse than a shoddy job with no comeback available.
• If you can, do some of the preparatory work yourself such as removing and masking the parts that need to be; some shops will discount you for doing this, ask if they do.